Welcome to CAMRA West Kent
This website is for CAMRA members that have an interest in the West Kent Branch. The branch area includes the towns of Edenbridge, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells and Westerham.
The easiest way to help CAMRA West Kent?
The number 1, easiest, but most important thing that CAMRA members can do to help any branch is to enter pub and beer scores via WhatPub. If you enter scores for pubs that you try they will get fed back to the relevant branch, and will be used for deciding which pubs go in the Good Beer Guide. The menu on the left contains a guide to Beer Scoring, or follow the WhatPub link above to go direct.
Volunteers Needed – Can You Help?
Spa Valley Railway, our partners in running the annual October Beer Festival, have asked if any of our members would be willing to assist in pouring pints over the period 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th August during their Summer Diesel Gala please? There’ll be beers on the train in Kate, the buffet car and at Eridge in the waiting room. Times would be 09.30 – 19.00 Thursday and Sunday and 09.00 – 23.00 Friday & Saturday so any time period during those hours would be appreciated. Please contact SVR General Manager, Jonnie Wesson firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to assist.
The Bull Inn, Brenchley – planning application submitted for reconfiguration into a mixed-use holiday let and A4 use. Application No. 16/503337/LBC refers if you wish to object via the TWBC planning portal.
The Kings Head, Five Oak Green – planning application submitted for demolition and erection of dwellings. Application No. 16/503082/FULL refers if you wish to object via the TWBC planning portal.
The Red Lion at Snargate, well outside our branch but a favourite of Kent drinkers. The sad news is that Doris Jemson, venerable landlady of the pub passed away on Sunday morning (24th). The pub is closed for the time being.
The Oak Tree, Sevenoaks is closing and may be under threat
The Crystal Palace, Tunbridge Wells is closed and boarded up
The Pantiles Tap has been voted West Kent CAMRA Cider Pub of the Year (COTY).
Keith Ennis (WKCAMRA cider boffin, click his name for his twitter account) presenting the certificate
CAMRA West Kent Facebook
Next Branch Socials / Business Meetings
- 25th Branch Business Meeting, Chequers, 73 High St, Sevenoaks, 7.30 followed by Social – Hartley Morris Men dancing at the Anchor, 32 London Rd, Sevenoaks from 9.15
- 28th Walk and Social, Kentish Rifleman Beer Festival, Dunk’s Green. Bus 77, noon, from Tunbridge Wells to Hadlow
Events, Beer Festivals, etc.
- 21st – 23rd July – Kent CAMRA Beer Festival, Merton Farm, Merton Lane, Canterbury, CT4 7BA, 200 ales and ciders, live entertainment, food, family area & camping, free shuttle bus from Canterbury bus station, Thurs 6.30-11, £6; Fri 12-4, free; Fri 6.30-11, £8 (advance tickets are essential for this session only); Sat 12-9, £6 www.kentbeerfestival.com Volunteers welcomed
- 22nd – 24th July – Brecknock Arms, Bells Yew Green Beer Festival, 15 beers, food, live music, etc.
- 29th July – Nevill Crest & Gun, Eridge – Tonbridge Brewery Tap Takeover/Meet the Brewer with Paul & Mark 7-9pm, nibbles, free but please book your place by email or phone email@example.com 01892 864209
- 30th July – CAMRA Revitalisation Project Meeting, 12-2pm at Crampton Tower Meeting Hall, The Broadway, Broadstairs, CT10 2AB
- 30th – 31st July – King William IV, Pembury Beer Festival, 20 beers, live music from 1pm – 7pm both days, Sat hog roast, Sun BBQ
- 4th – 7th Aug – Spa Valley Railway Summer Diesel Gala and Mini Beer Festival, 20 ales, several ciders
- 6th Aug – Chequers, Laddingford – 6th annual Train & Transport Day, selection of transport themed real ales plus the usual vintage/classic road vehicles, stationary engines, large working Hornby 0 Gauge tinplate layout, other model railway layouts, radio controlled boats plus other transport related exhibits, barbecue and bar meals, free admission but donations the pub’s charity never refused. All welcome to come and look, talk, drink or even bring something to show off
- 26th – 27th Aug – Orpington Liberal Club Summer Beer Festival. Volunteers wanted – click here if you can help: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VKGWKDD
- 26th – 29th Aug – Kentish Rifleman, Dunk’s Green Inaugural Beer Festival
- 3rd Sept – East Malling Beer & Cider Festival, East Malling Research Centre, run by Maidstone & Mid Kent CAMRA branch
- 3rd Sept – Royal Oak, Crockham Hill Mini Beer & Music Festival from 3pm
- 3rd Sept – CAMRA Revitalisation Project Meeting, 1-3pm at the Star Inn, 2 Quarry Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3TY
- 3rd – 4th Sept – Faversham Hop Festival
- 10th – 11th Sept – Kent Life’s Hops ‘n’ Harvest Beer Festival, Lock Lane, Sandling, nr. Maidstone
- 23rd Sept – 9th Oct – Kent Green Hop Fortnight, launching at Canterbury Food & Drink Fayre (23rd – 25th Sept)
- 21st – 23rd Oct – Spa Valley Railway Beer Festival, over 100 beers, 25 ciders, Eridge & Groombridge bars open all sessions this year, more space at Tunbridge Wells, advance train tickets now include a free pint, evening trains after 6pm price reduced to £5, foreign bottled beer bar, plenty of green-hopped beers, key-keg bar at TW run by Fuggles
Kent CAMRA Website goes live
Kent CAMRA has launched it own website, rhis gives extra info on the Kent area and includes information on cider and brewery’s. It also provides links to all the local CAMRA websites
New CAMRA members site launched
Protecting your local pub by nominating them as Assets of Community Value
Through the Localism Act, the Government has introduced new powers for communities in England to nominate valued facilities such as pubs as “assets of community value”. Where pubs are listed this enables communities to “stop the clock” for up to six months if they’re put up for sale to consider options for saving the pub. With 18 pubs closing every week we need CAMRA members and branches to get involved in listing pubs before more of them are lost. So far two pubs in the branch have received this protection (both called the Royal Oak, one in Tunbridge Wells, one in Pembury). For a more in depth explanation of the what, why, and where please follow this LINK, which also contains an information leaflet.