Welcome to CAMRA West Kent
This website is for CAMRA members that have an interest in the West Kent Branch. The branch area includes the towns of Edenbridge, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells and Westerham.
The easiest way to help CAMRA West Kent?
The number 1, easiest, but most important thing that CAMRA members can do to help any branch is to enter pub and beer scores via WhatPub. If you enter scores for pubs that you try they will get fed back to the relevant branch, and will be used for deciding which pubs go in the Good Beer Guide. The menu on the left contains a guide to Beer Scoring, or follow the WhatPub link above to go direct.
The Bull Inn, Brenchley – planning application submitted for reconfiguration into a mixed-use holiday let and A4 use. Application No. 16/503337/LBC refers if you wish to object via the TWBC planning portal.
The Kings Head, Five Oak Green – planning application submitted for demolition and erection of dwellings. Application No. 16/503082/FULL refers if you wish to object via the TWBC planning portal.
The Red Lion at Snargate, well outside our branch but a favourite of Kent drinkers. The sad news is that Doris Jemson, venerable landlady of the pub passed away on Sunday morning (24th). The pub is closed for the time being.
The Oak Tree, Sevenoaks is closing and may be under threat
The Crystal Palace, Tunbridge Wells is closed and boarded up
The Pantiles Tap has been voted West Kent CAMRA Cider Pub of the Year (COTY).
Keith Ennis (WKCAMRA cider boffin, click his name for his twitter account) presenting the certificate
CAMRA West Kent Facebook
Next Branch Socials / Business Meetings
- 9th Sevenoaks Pub Crawl starting at the Chequers, 71 High Street, 8pm
- 18th – CAMRA Revitalisation Project Meeting, 7.30pm at Dartford Working Men’s Club. Please register via the CAMRA website
- 19th Social visit to the Toad Rock Retreat, 1 Upper Street, Rusthall, 8pm
- 25th – Social visit to the Pantiles Tap, Tunbridge Wells to present their West Kent CAMRA Cider Pub of the Year 2016 award. The Tap has about 9 ciders on offer all the time, one for every taste, so this is a not-to-be-missed opportunity for cider lovers. Beer lovers will be well provided for too, cask and craft keg and bottled beer in abundance!!
- 28th Social visit to the Wheatsheaf beer festival, Mount Pleasant, Crowborough, 1pm
- 9th Pub Crawl of Tunbridge Wells Pantiles starting at the Ragged Trousers, 44 The Pantiles, 8pm
- 18th visit by 297 bus to the Gun & Spitroast, Horsmonden for lunch followed by presentation of runner-up PotY award to the Halfway House, Brenchley
- 27th Branch Business Meeting 8pm at the Forester’s Arms, 51 Quarry Hill Road, Tonbridge. Please note this pub is under new, experienced management and has been refurbished so it should be well worth a visit
Events, Beer Festivals, etc.
- 19th – 22nd May – Old Fire Station, Castle Street, Tonbridge, TN9 1BH Cider Festival, 20+ ciders from Kent, Sussex, Somerset Herefordshire & London. This will coincide with the Tonbridge Food Festival 20-22nd May. https://www.marketsquaregroup.co.uk/core/event-lite?id=198
- 19th May – Sennockian, 139-141 High Street, Sevenoaks, TN13 1UX, Meet the Brewer with Rockin Robin brewery, 7pm. Talk about brewing ingredients, history, etc. 4 of their beers on tap, raffle to support CLIC Sargent charity to win polo shirts, branded glasses and tickets to the RR brewery bash on the 9th July (tickets usually £30). Raffle tickets at the bar from w/c 25/4/16
- 21st May – Bromley CAMRA 3rd Marvellous May Cider and Perry Festival, HG Wells Centre, St Mark’s Road, Bromley, BR2 9HG, 2 mins walk from Bromley South station, 11-11. Over 20 real ciders & perrys, food, real ale bar, raffle, £1 entry to CAMRA members, £2 otherwise
- 27th – 30th May – Halfway House, Brenchley Beer Festival, 60-70 mostly Kent/Sussex but also national breweries and ciders. 2 exclusive beers from Tonbridge – IPA is normally keg only but here it will be in cask and a special single hop brew using the new British hop Endeavour, grown only a mile or so from the pub
- 28th May – Royal Oak, Crockham Hill Mini Beer & Music Festival from 3pm
- 28th – 30th May – Wheatsheaf, Crowborough Beer Festival
- 11th June – Maidstone Mencap Fete at Mote Park, Maidstone with real ale bar run by MMK CAMRA Branch
- 17th 18th June – CAMRA Kent & East Sussex Railway Beer Festival, Tenterden www.camra-afrm.org.uk
- 22nd – 25th June – Flowerpot, Maidstone Beer Festival
Kent CAMRA Website goes live
Kent CAMRA has launched it own website, rhis gives extra info on the Kent area and includes information on cider and brewery’s. It also provides links to all the local CAMRA websites
New CAMRA members site launched
Protecting your local pub by nominating them as Assets of Community Value
Through the Localism Act, the Government has introduced new powers for communities in England to nominate valued facilities such as pubs as “assets of community value”. Where pubs are listed this enables communities to “stop the clock” for up to six months if they’re put up for sale to consider options for saving the pub. With 18 pubs closing every week we need CAMRA members and branches to get involved in listing pubs before more of them are lost. So far two pubs in the branch have received this protection (both called the Royal Oak, one in Tunbridge Wells, one in Pembury). For a more in depth explanation of the what, why, and where please follow this LINK, which also contains an information leaflet.